Pastor’s Short Bible Study
August 28, 2019
The Bible and Christianity in September: Things to Do and Think About
- Study a portion of Scripture this month. In Nehemiah 8:2 Ezra read he Law to the people. You might read the lectionary verses for September 15th Jeremiah 4:11-12, & 22-29, Psalm 14, I Timothy 1:12-17, and Luke 15:1-10. (The lectionary is a set of readings for church that encompasses most of the Bible over a three-year period.
- Remember St. Phocas the Gardener, whose traditional feast day is September 22. He shared his produce and offered hospitality to the poor in the days of ancient Rome. He was martyred in the year 303 on the orders of the Roman Emperor.
- Remember the Day of Atonement, (September 30th.). In Numbers 29:1-12 the Jews are instructed to set aside a day for fasting and prayer. The High Priest entered the Holy Place in the Temple to make an offering for the sins of the whole nation. In Hebrews 10:11-25 we are taught that Jesus is our one, lasting offering for sins. He is our ‘High priest’ forever.
- The Landing of the Ark after the Flood was in September. (Genesis 8:4)
- Devote some time to God. In Chronicles 27:10, we read that Helez (whose name means ‘Strong’), had the month of September as his month to serve King Solomon.